Banana muffin in home made paper cup - featuring sultanas/raisins and tea!! | Kukskitchen



At work in my previous work place there was a private company selling yummy muffins in a rustic paper cup. I was waiting for a good muffin recipe to experiment my own paper cups. One day on the final presentation day of a course, when all my fellow attendees selected topics like 'obesity in kids', 'my research' etc I proudly chose to give a talk on kerala, my state in india and topped it up with a recipe handout and snapshot of keralan chicken biriyani. Feeling very special myself (you the feeling when you feel so good about urself what ever else the others thing? Yes, I had that moment), there comes another girl in another group with a recipe to banana cake her nan used to bake. I knew it would have been yummy and she knew it too. I came home and started searching for a yummy banana cake recipe. Low and behold I saw a recipe by the one and only comfort-food-queen Nigella Lawson. I knew this was it. I made a few alterations to suit my taste and needs and cooked it for my dear friend P and her daughter R. Here is the recipe I used.













Ingredients



very ripe bananas - 300g excluding peels
sultanas/ raisins - 100g
water - 75 - 100ml
tea bag - 1
plain flour - 175g
baking powder - 2 tsp
bicarbonate of soda - 1/2 tsp
salt - 1/2 tsp
butter - 125g
brown/ caster sugar - 150g
eggs - 2
vanilla extract - 1 tsp


Method



- preheat oven to 170 degreeC

- add boiling hot water to tea bag as u would for tea. Give it a squeeze and get the bag out. Nigellas original recipe asked for whisky. I substituted it for tea.

- add sultanas to it and leave it for 5-10mts

- combine / seive flour, salt and raising agents together in a bowl.

- melt your butter

- in a second bowl add the melted butter to sugar and mix well. Now add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition.

- mash your bananas, a few chunks are ok, they add texture to ur muffin.

- add the bananas to ur second bowl together with drained sultanas and vanilla extract.

- Nigellas original recipe used walnuts. I am not a big fan of them, hence avoided it.

- add the flour mix to the banana mix a little at a time, gently folding the mixture in. Never use a hard hand or you will end up with a banana flavoured stone.

- I poured this mixture in to a buttered and paper lined muffin tray and baked for 20 mts. A cake with the same mixture would take 1 hr.

The recipe warrants yellow cavendish bananas, the usual ones you get in supermarket, but if you can't get it 'robusta' green bananas are great too.


For the paper cup, I cut a square piece of baking sheet and moulded it into the trough in the muffin tray. They sure do add a great personal touch to ur muffins.

Cheers
Sherin Deepu



2 comments:

  1. wow.. thanks for linking this recipe to my event. Expecting more recipes from you;-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking this yummy recipe to my event.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your presence and thoughts.
Come again!

Hugs,
Sherin

get free recipes straight to your inbox.


Please do not re'print' this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.

Happy sharing