Fairy cakes are kids favourite any day. Here is a simple recipe for fairy cakes which gives you perfect results each time. For icing, wait for your cakes to cool down to room temp. Use 250g of milk chocolate. Break them into big chunks, put them in a freezer bag and microwave till soft (took me about 30 sec). Do not over-do. Keep checking every 10 sec. Cut the corner, 2-3 mm hole would be perfect, and use this to artistically decorate or drizzle like I did, on top of your cakes.
Sprinkle what ever you want on top before the chocolate hardens up. The whole cake- decor section of your supermarket is waiting for you.
Butter - 125g
Sugar - 125g
Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp
Eggs - 2
Self-raising flour, sifted ( plain flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder) - 125g
Milk - 2 tbsp
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl/ food processer and then add the vanilla essence
- Add the eggs, one at a time, adding a spoonful of flour between each
- Add rest of flour and pulse till mixed ( avoid high speeds and too much mixing)
- Add a little milk and pulse - add enough milk to achieve a soft, dropping consistency
- Divide the mixture between 12 cup-cake cases in a muffin tin. Bake in the oven at 200°C (Electric oven | Electric fan oven 180°C | Gas Mark 6) for 10 - 20 minutes until cooked and golden on top. Don't overcook the fairy cakes otherwise they will dry out. Lift the fairy cakes out of the muffin tin ( I used a knife plus rice spoon :D) and leave to cool on a wire rack.