Fancy a quick chana curry to accompany ur puttu or batura or even a lazy-FZ porotta-evening? Here is the perfect recipe for u. It is quick and easy and uses store-cupboard-ingredients.
1 - Chana / Kadala /chick pea - cooked - 200g
2 - Coconut grated - 1/2 cup or less according to ur taste
Meat or chicken masala - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
3 - Curry leaves - only if u have them in stock
4 - Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
5 - Oil - 2 tbsp
6 - Coconut milk powder - 2 tsp
Hot water - 3 tbsp
- Grind (2) with 2 tbsp of cooked chana and enough water to a smooth paste.
- If using dried chana, cook pre-soaked chana in enough water and salt in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes after first whistle.
- Heat a oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add curry leaves (if u have them).
- Add the ground paste and saute for a few minutes.
- Now add cooked chana and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix coconut milk powder in hot water till no lumps and add this to the curry.
- Let it simmer for another 3-4 minutes.
- Your curry is ready to serve.
The ideal accompaniment to this kadalakkari is every keralan's favourite breakfast - hot steamed puttu.