Thoran and me? Everybody knows a syrian christian from mid kerala CANNOT make a good thoran. It is a fact. That is unless she gets help from her south kerala thoran specialist friend. In my case it was my dear friend Surya. Sorry dear if over time my modifications have spoiled ur gorgeous recipe.
Presented is a recipe for kovakka thoran.
1 - Kovakka - 250 g
2 - Grated coconut -1/2 cup
Shallots / chuvannulli - 3-4 small ones
Garlic paste - 2 tsp or more according to taste
Green chilli - 2
Cumin - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
3 - Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Onion - 1 medium chopped
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
4 - oil - 2 tbsp
- Grind (2) with little water making sure it doesn't go mushy.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add onions and saute till they turn translucent.
- Now add the ground coconut mixture and saute till the raw smell and taste disappears and the coconut turns light brown.
- Add the vegetable and curry leaves, mix well and simmer covered for about 10-15 minutes or till the vegetable is cooked through. Add no more water. If you like very dry thoran, leave this for another 5 minutes for a crispy thoran.
- Add turmeric to grinding mixture
- Avoid garlic
- Add chopped green chilli, dried red chilli or urad dal along with mustard seeds.
- Add red chilli powder to onions.
- Cook veggies separately with salt in microwave till coconut gets cooked in pan.
- Add veggies first after onions and add coconut mix only a few minutes before switching off the hob.