Kadhai / Karahi chicken is a north Indian / pakistani recipe which is usually cooked in kadhai/ karahi /skillet. Kadhai is a wok-type utensil used in Indian cooking. The speciality of kadhai chicken is, it is not only cooked in kadhai/skillet but also is served in kadhai/skillet.
The original recipe asks for fresh capsicum, but much of the recipes on the web does not feature that. So readers, its ur choice. Let me know if you decided to go with the capsicum or not. The recipe presented is inspired from Sanjeev Kapoor.
1 - Chicken - 1 kg
2 - Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
Black pepper corns - 6
Whole dry red chilli - 6
3 - Ginger - 2 tsp
Garlic - 2 tsp
4 - Ghee - 2 tbsp
5 - Oil - 2 tbsp
6 - Onion - 1 large chopped
7 - Tomatoes - 4 large chopped
8 - Salt to taste
9 - Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
10 - Capsicum - 1/2 squared
- Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black peppercorns and red chilli and grind to a coarse powder.
- Heat ghee and oil in a kadai, add onion and sauté till lightly browned.
- Add half the coarsely ground spice powder and ginger-garlic paste and continue to sauté for three to four minutes.
- Add tomatoes and salt and continue to sauté till the tomatoes become soft.
- Add chicken and stir.
- Add coriander leaves and the remaining coarsely ground spice powder and mix.
- Add half a cup of water and stir.
- Cover and cook on medium heat till the chicken is done.
- Add capsicum squares and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Now, I tried to make it look rich by drizzling some double cream left over from my toffee sauce ( recipe soon to come). Not sure if it did the job though. What's the verdict? Did the cream do justice to the kadai chicken?