I dedicate this recipe to you working mums, bachelors and new cooks.
A few things before you start:
- Shallots give a better taste and pearl onions if used give a fantastic flavour to the sauce.
- Simmer at low heat for longer and avoid ginger garlic paste for a traditional taste similar to dry-baked fish (മീൻ പൊള്ളിച്ചത്).
Here is how I make it.
1- Fish - 500g
2 - Chilli powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek (uluva) powder - 1/4 tsp
Ginger paste - 1 tsp
Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
3 - Onion - one large sliced
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
4 - Coconut milk - 200ml
5- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Clean fish and cut them in to medium sized pieces. Try and use a firm fleshed fish. If using white fish, try something like lemon sole or basa.
- Marinate fish pieces in 2. Leave them for 5-10 mts or use straight away.
- Shallow fry fish in a non-stick pan.
- After one side is done, turn the fish over and add onions and curry leaves.
- When the now bottom side is done, add coconut milk and simmer for 5 mts.
Ready to eat!