1 - Rice noodles - 2 cups
Water - 6 cups
2 - Green beans - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Carrots - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Peas, fresh or frozen - 1/2 cup
3 - Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Dried red chillies -2, broken into a couple pieces
4 - Onions - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
5 - Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
4-5 tsp vegetable oil
6 - Tamarind paste - 1/4 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
7 - Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
8 - Salt to taste
- In a deep pan, bring water to a boil. Add the dry rice noodles and cook for 4-5 minutes until just cooked, but not mushy. Drain, add a cup of cold water, drain again, and keep aside.
- In a microwavable bowl, add (2), sprinkle some salt and water, cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin and mustard seeds. As the seeds start to pop, add the red chillies and fry until chillies change colour.
- Add the onions along with some salt. Saute on low heat until they are translucent.
- Add (5) and saute to mix well.
- Add the boiled vegetables and (6), along with 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook on low heat till sauce thickens.
- Add the rice noodles, a little at a time till noodles are well coated with the sauce. Mix well and saute on low heat until the noodles have absorbed the gravy and are well-coated. Don't forget to check for salt at this stage.
- Garnish the spicy rice noodles with chopped coriander and serve hot..
- Use pre-cooked rice noodles to save time.
- Use tomato ketchup or soy sauce instead of tamarind if u wished.