Being born and brought up in the capital city, I have a few favourites from trivandrum. This particular recipe became close to my heart during my pre-degree days when my dear friend S used to bring in this fish curry made by her umma. I didn't know the recipe then, but made sure I knew it later on.
Inaugurating my new meen chatty ( earthen pot) :-)
1 - Fish – 1/2 kg, cut into medium pieces
2 - Grated coconut – 1 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 1 tbsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Shallots – 5
Tamarind paste - 1 tsp
3 - Fenugreek powder – 1/4 tsp
4 - Green chilies – 2, slit
Drumstick – 1, cut into 2.5 inch long pieces and slit in half
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
5 - Coconut oil – 2 tsp
7 - Salt – To taste
8 - water - 2 cups
- Grind (2) adding enough water.
- In a pan, add the fish pieces, ground coconut mixture, (3), (4), salt and water. Mix well and cover with a lid.
- Bring to a boil and let it boil for a few minutes.
- Now simmer and cook until done. This would take as long as 10 minutes, but would depend on the type of fish.
- During the cooking process make sure not to mix the fish pieces too much to avoid mushing them. To mix gentle swirl ur pan from side to side every 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2 tsp coconut oil and a few curry leaves as garnish.
- Serve hot with plain rice and yogurt.